+++++++++++++
Sometime last Wednesday AJ got the hankering and the wherewithal to actually take some time off and was hellbent on enjoying a weekend in Moab. Luckily I was able to do the same, as was our friend Mystery (otherwise known as Dave), and pretty much on a moment’s notice we were all off and on our way late Thursday afternoon.
After having some fantastic Cajun food in Glenwood Springs we found ourselves in Fruita late, gassed up, got some ice cream ...
![]() |
| From 2008 11 Moab |
and finally rolled into Moab somewhere around 11pm. We huddled into the Holiday Inn Express, envying those who had the good sense and fortitude to be camping under the full moon, clear sky, on a simultaneously warm and chilly night. We were excitd to start early the next day and ride UPS and Porcupine. Unfortunately, AJ’s Jinxes began showing up shortly thereafter ...
Knock knock knock. Jinx #1. Realizing that he’d packed absolutely nothing but bike shorts (that’s right, just bike shorts) it seemed we needed to make an impromptu stop at Poison Spider Bikes. Where they sell clothes, unfortunately none of them without an enormous PSB logo absolutely screaming across the front of them. Two jerseys, a few pair of socks, and about an hour later getting ourselves together we drove up Sand Flats Road, where we were set to begin and dead-set on saving some money, by doing a self-shuttle ... ya see, we're smart like that.
After no less than three checks to make sure that we had the car keys, the Park Pass, and everything we could possibly need to begin the ride, we began climbing the singletrack up to the end of Hazzard. AJ was our unexpected fashionista of the day in his 100% coordinated, black and grey and oh so ... spidery ... PSB attire. :-D hee hee.
It being a Friday in mid-November we had the Rim virtually to ourselves. Although the weather forecast called for 50s, it hit in the 60s early and we were treated to particularly perfect weather conditions, with zero wind and clear skies. Yip!
We absolutely ripped UPS and Porcupine Rim. I spent more time focusing on riding differently, riding better, than riding fast. I must must must change my entire balance point; so this was a mental ride first and foremost for me. And I was rewarded for it. You see, at the end of the double track, right before the quick climb up to the fence where the singletrack begins, there are two “drops” I had never ridden. Yeah, I know, they're not much -- but this is me we're talking about! AJ and Mystery assured me they were rollers, and graciously allowed me to take some time, learn to do them...
| From 2008 11 Moab |
... and I did ... and finally was able to check some much needed stuff off my list. Several times!
| From 2008 11 Moab |
| From 2008 11 Moab |
Back and forth, up and down, time and time again, I rode these stupid things! With much appreciated patience from AJ and Mystery. And never once had a problem, but more importantly, I got much more comfortable with new positions and areas on my bike.
| From 2008 11 Moab |
I quickly became absolutely amazed at how much positioning never utilized before, and was blown away that my bike could be ridden so far out in front of me, no less than shocked at how much better the handling became as I did.
Sure the pictures look like nothing, but these were firsts for me! And doing them not once, but several times, allowed me to learn how riding “right” (well, more right) felt. This practice also set me up for much more fun than I ever have had on the Porc ST before. It was, I dunno … magical. ;) Thanks guys!
Here's AJ showing how it's done... :)
| From 2008 11 Moab |
We made it back to the hotel, back to the room, all hepped up after a great right. But Jinx #2 was sitting right there in the HI Express, all snuggled up in an easy chair and waved a happy hello. Yep -- you guessed it. AJ remembered ... that he forgot his keys. In his jeans. At the shuttle car. At the top of UPS. How that managed to happen after all three gear checks we’re still not sure, but as a good wife I just shut my trap and opened a much needed beer.
What to do, what to do ... we called a few bike shops to ask for some help, starting with Poison Spider. No, they didn't want to help, they just wanted to rape us $50 for the pleasure of a simple ride back to our car. Screw dat homey!! Determined to find a sane person in Moab, I took a spin around the grounds and found a hotel maintenance man named Pedro who kindly and reasonably agreed to take AJ back to the car for the low, low price of 25 American Dollars. Deal!!
(Later I happened to see Pedro's picture the hotel under the “Employee of the Month” plaque ... and I'm still kicking myself for not getting a shot of it, it was priceless and surely would have been the highlight of this blogpost ...)
Anyhoo ... on with this unending story ... sheesh .......... OK. To celebrate a most awesome and inspired day we did what any Moab dweller does: ate bad Mexican food and bowled at The Pitt.
![]() |
| From 2008 11 Moab |
For the record, there are a lot of really overweight teenagers in Moab … who really need to pick out different types of pants to wear. Holy cow. I don’t know what they’re thinking. But I digress on an already rambling story ...
Saturday came quickly and we were treated with the company of Mike and Carol (no, not Brady; and yes I was every bit as disappointed as you are), but still, two Gunnison bad asses … in fact, Carol has WON the Leadville 100 … Jiminey Christmas! Together we all rode the worst kept secret trail in Moab. Since it’s such a secret I’ll call it BD here. Shhhh. Nobody knows about it and we’re sworn to secrecy …
With Porcupine’s lessons still fresh in my mind I attacked BD with a new enthusiasm and trust. Climbing behind Carol was a treat, her lines were amazing and we were at the rim top in no time at all, with several more items crossed off My List. After a quick squirt of goo we began riding the rim where AJ was masterful and inspiring ...
| From 2008 11 Moab |
Sweet! AJ's finesse moved me to take more chances, successfully! Even things I had not considered possible for me before, much less attempted before ... starting here at this oh so familiar and memorable spot …
| From 2008 11 Moab |
Sure, I’m decapitated in the photo, but it was a first, so I’m taking credit. And dammit, check out those incredible socks!!!!!! (Where'd I get 'em you ask?! Well I got 'em at Target....! ;) hee hee.) And since that photo doesn't really tell the whole story (wink wink) here's a shot from the last time I rode it, back in March, when I didn't even attempt the drop.
| From Moab April 2008 |
Shortly after we arrived at another familiar spot, at again something I thought completely over my head. AJ was having camera trouble (but since this is standard, I didn’t fault the Jinxes that were stalking us) so I had to ride this thing five times to get the shot. But he did get the picture, and what a shot it was! And I was better for the practice. Much!! ;) Sweet!
| From 2008 11 Moab |
We shot down BD and up Gold Bar and eventually entered into Portal where (whoop! whoop! whoop! Jinx #3 alert:) AJ got a flat. And after carefully taking the time to put a tube in it, simply found that the tube he put in? Well, it was flat too. So, AJ borrowed a second tube from Mystery, and at this point, Carol and I realized that given AJ’s uniquely bad luck this entire trip, we’d best just be on our way … this was gonna likely take a while … ;)
Carol and I played on the rocks and rode ahead, sessioning spots where necessary, not sessioning where stupid and deadly. Eventually we were joined by the guys back at the Overlook, from where I watched Mike go very awkwardly OTB at that really, really bad spot. You know the one, too. Mike dusted himself off not realizing anyone saw him or how precariously that fall came, and never spoke a word of it. Luckily for Mike, (very luckily) the Jinxes were much too focused on AJ that day ...
Ending the ride, we rode down Portal and Mary was absolutely singing through this stuff, brilliantly. I just kept my legs bent, my chest low, my arms extended, my ears in line with my biceps, and let my bike ride ahead of me, gliding down and over lips and drops and steeps with control and sheer joy never experienced before. Who knew this stuff hooked up?!?! Weeeeeeeee!
After experiencing so many dang firsts on this bike, at the end of the trail, with christening beer in hand, I renamed Mary something a little fitting ... henceforth, Mary shall be called Candy. Yes. Candy Oh. ;)
Last vacation days always make me homesick, so we woke early, grubbed on biscuits and gravy (yummmm…) and hit the road to Fruita to have some Moore Fun. We arrived at the Kokopelli Trailhead early. Before heading out AJ planned to do a quick fix at the trailhead. All of us, AJ, Mystery, and me could just feel Jinx #4 hovering somewhere …
And yep, there he was.
AJ went to start the fix and unscrew the valve stopper, and the damn thing immediately twisted off in hand. Undeterred, AJ continued to Stans his tire (with a whole scoop for good measure, since as you prolly guessed, the patches were forgotten at home, with the clothes ...).
Shake shake shake. Psst. Shake shake shake. Pssssssssst. Quiet ... quiet ... yes ... spirits rising ... !!! Pssssssssst. Fuck! Shake shake shake. Quiet. Quiet. Q..u..i..e..t..... yes ... fingers crossed ... hope hope hope ....... yes, yes, yes!!! Pssssssssssssssssssst.
45 minutes later: Fuck it. AJ re-borrowed the new tube he had paid back Mystery with just 30 minutes earlier, slapped yet a third tube back into his tire, and finally, finally we started our ride ... finally, finally left all the Jinxes behind us at the trailhead ... all four of 'em laughing uproariously at the sight of AJ's ridiculous PSB uni and, if my hearing can be trusted, relishing their three past days of mayhem with a celebratory high five ...
++++
After our time in Moab, Fruita seemed a lot more tame. We enjoyed a leisurely ride and felt the the last few day's work in our legs.
| From 2008 11 Moab |
| From 2008 11 Moab |
| From 2008 11 Moab |
| From 2008 11 Moab |
At the very top of Moore Fun I saw an unmistaskable character, riding upright, hair everywhere, beard aglow, and doggedly climbing from the east. Immediately I recognized him … it was none other than Fixie Dave!
Apparently he is spending some winter months enjoying desert riding and as he put it, "living off Ramen”! He promised that dry weather was expected for the next few weeks, so we in turn promised a quick return to his neck of the woods!
We only spent a few minutes chatting but in that time he sent a very warm hello to all his Front Range friends (especially Ed and JJ, yo!) and wants to know when we’ll be returning. We promised to put a note on his Facebook page letting him know our plans.
So only one question remains … what weekend are we doing this with again … with a much, much bigger group?! And hopefully better luck?!


4 comments:
NICE NICE NICE NICE NICE!!!
Way to clean those sections over and over and over again -- with ease...my kick-ass little MtbCandy
;-)
jj
That stinking log pile is soooo mine! ;) Missed you much!
Holy mackerel, what's with the jinxes?!
That Mike is one lucky dude, that's scary.
Very nicely done M, good job reporting and cleaning all that new to you stuff.
And thanks for the "Hello" from FixieDave :-)
Ed
Nice job on the bd sandtrap; what a wonderful, fantastic thing to have accomplished. Congrats.
Post a Comment